The Alliance for the Great Lakes works to protect the Great Lakes for today and tomorrow. We involve tens of thousands of people each year in advocacy, volunteering, education, and research to ensure the lakes are healthy and safe for all
The Alliance for the Great Lakes works out front, and behind the scenes, to protect the lakes. Recent successes include:
- Championed federal ban on microbeads in personal care products like face wash and toothpaste, preventing the tiny plastic particles from entering the Great Lakes;
- Released groundbreaking report calling for permanent separation of the Great Lakes and Mississippi River basins to prevent inter-basin transfer of Asian carp and other invasive species;
- Advocated for the historic Great Lakes-St. Lawrence River Basin Water Resources Compact to keep Great Lakes water in the lakes, and won significant protections for the lakes in the Compact’s first test, a diversion application by Waukesha, Wisc.;
- Won a historic cleanup goal for Lake Erie, which is plagued each year by toxic algal blooms, when the governors of Ohio and Michigan joined the premier of Ontario to commit to a 40% reduction in nutrients into the lake by 2025;
- Connected nearly 60,000 students with hands-on Great Lakes learning through our Great Lakes In My World curriculum; and
- Involved nearly 15,000 volunteers in the Adopt-a-Beach program last year, cleaning up beaches, collecting valuable data, and building pride in the Great Lakes.
We can't protect the Great Lakes without your help. Each year, tens of thousands of volunteers and advocates join together to keep the lakes healthy and safe for all. Find out how you can get involved today! Click here to view upcoming events, petitions and information on keeping our lakes healthy!
For More Information
To learn more about our 2019-20 Charity of the Year click here. MASC/MAHS Michigan Student Leadership looks forward to working with this incredible charity to ensure strong service leadership is constantly on the forefront of our objectives. Click here to access our COY's W-9
Our COY is currently working on creating a direct "donate" button on their webpage. Check back for more information and specific instructions on how to donate to our COY.